Avocados are all the rage now and when I saw the original recipe from Delish, I was utterly skeptical!
I decided that weird is good and I made up a batch before my second round of pickling classes. To say they were a hands down hit would be an understatement! I nearly ran out of hard avocados because everyone was making their own jar.
They are quite tasty and remind me of a deconstructed guacamole that is slightly sweet. Be creative with this recipe... if you don't like cilantro (everyone should... but some ain't havin' it!) don't put it in. If you LOVE garlic, put in a bit more (don't go too wild as avocados are delicate and will take flavors easily). Don't like it spicy, cut the spices in half. The only thing in this recipe that needs to stay the same is the water, vinegar and salt. If you want to cut back on the sugar that will be fine, but a little sugar is a good thing in pickling and helps to cut the acidity of the vinegar.
At the end of the day I hope you try out this crazy cool recipe and share them with your friends and family... I promise you, you'll look super cool!
Makes 1- 16 oz jar (1 pint jar).
- 1 c. water
- 1c. 5% white vinegar
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt or pickling salt
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, or whole dried red pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/8 tsp. onion flakes (a large wedge or slivered fresh onion may also be used)
- 5 sprigs fresh cilantro (or dried, to taste; optional)
- 1-4 not ripe or hard avocados, depending on size
2. In a clean mason jar, place red pepper flakes, garlic, onion, cilantro, and avocado slices.
3. In a small saucepan over medium high heat, combine vinegar, water, sugar and salt and bring to a rapid boil, stirring often.
4. Pour hot pickling mixture into the jar and seal tightly with a lid. Let it cool down to just slightly warm and then place in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours before serving!
5. Keep in refrigerator for 4-8 weeks.. if they last that long! NOT SHELF STABLE >>> Keep REFRIGERATED!